Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Don't Believe Every Team Follows the Same Stadium Blueprint? (Pt. 1)

It's hard for many younger baseball fans to understand, but the previous owners of the Red Sox once treated Fenway Park like the Rays treat the Trop: as an outdated facility in urgent need of replacement.

I've previously written how Red Sox ownership changed the reputation of Fenway through a little TLC and a lot of marketing prowess.

But to see how similar the Red Sox' previous stadium campaign mimicked almost every other MLB stadium campaign of the last 25 years, I dug up an old research paper on Fenway Park I wrote for my freshman year English class (in 1995!).

Highlights:

 
  
My intel at the time was pretty much limited to what I read in the Boston Globe and Sports Illustrated, but it also goes to show how MLB teams successfully utilize the media to disseminate their message.
 
 Sound familiar, Rays fans?

No comments:

Post a Comment