This week, Maddon was quoted by the Times as saying, "To not have a legitimate major-league ballpark would be the only minus within the whole organization. And the moment we're able to get a new ballpark on the ground and running that's when this organization has a chance to really (turn into a top organization)."
Then, he followed up the comments at his season-ending press conference, as reported by Martin Fennelly:
"I’ve also stated that the new ballpark is a situation that we would like to get done here, and I’m not going to back down from that at all."But it wasn't Maddon's first foray into the Stadium Saga. A brief history of comments from him & his players:
- Sept. 2013 - Price tweets backhanded excitement tweets about "no traffic" at Trop
- Sept. 2013 - Carl Crawford criticizes crowds after leaving Rays
- July 2011 - Maddon calls Trop "improper" for baseball
- Sept. 2010 - Longoria "embarrassed" by fan support at Trop
- Aug 2010 - Maddon criticizes Trop's "quirks"
A closing reminder from Buster Olney:
It's always a bad idea for players/media to criticize fans for not going to games. It's the fans' money;they can spend it the way they want.
— Buster Olney (@Buster_ESPN) September 18, 2013