- If you thought it had been a while since the last Tampa Bay Times editorial calling on St. Pete councilmembers to let the Rays out of their contract, it's been more than a month - an eternity to the Times (see more below). But the dry spell ends this weekend with a piece calling for St. Pete to study the value of Trop land and ultimately allow the Rays to leave it.
- The Times' Charlie Frago adds more context to a story that's been covered at-length on this blog: the Rays' future could come down to a single city council race.
- In case you missed it, the Rays are offering free tickets to military vets through the rest of the season...
- Rays TV ratings remain healthy, pushing SunSports to the top of Tampa Bay cable charts. That means money in 2017!
- And last but not least, a comment from Field of Schemes reader Robert Levita after Wisconsin lawmakers voted to pay 90% of the Milwaukee Bucks' new half-billion-dollar stadium:
"Eagerly awaiting Wisconsin politicians to start replacing 27 year old bridges, roads, hospitals and schools."FOLLOW: Shadow of the Stadium on Twitter
FOLLOW: Shadow of the Stadium on Facebook
A brief history of Times editorials on the Stadium Saga:
- 6/14/15 - Opportunity cost of keeping Rays costing St. Pete big
- 6/4/15 - Council blind to economic opportunities at Trop
- 5/30/15 - Times Cranks Up Pressure on Opponents of Rays Compromise
- 5/28/15 - Hurry up and pass MOU or else we'll have to hurry up in a few years
- 3/31/15 - Times suggests replacing councilmembers who oppose MOU
- 3/28/15 - Maybe Council Will Finally Listen to Us?
- 2/23/15 - Sternberg Wrong to Hate on St. Pete Council...That's Our Job!
- 2/20/15 - St. Pete should just give up now
- 12/10/14 - It's in St. Pete's financial interest to let the Rays go to Tampa
- 11/7/14 - St. Pete should amend contract b/c Rays lost their manager, GM
- 10/3/14 - Cheers, Warning on Hillsborough Negotiations
- 6/30/14 - Save Pinellas Tax Money for New Stadium
- 4/2/14 - What Steps Will Kriseman Take on Rays?
- 3/31/14 - Hurry Up! Only 14 More Years to Solve Stadium Stalemate!
- 1/1/14 - Kriseman Should Solve Stadium Stalemate Within "Months"
- 12/1/13 - Message to Kriseman: no time to waste
- 11/12/13 - New mayor will bring an open mind to the negotiations
- 11/6/13 - New mayor should renew discussions with Rays
- And a bevy of Bill-Foster bashing too: Oct. 2013 | Sept. 2013 | Sept. 2013 | Feb 2013 | Feb 2013 | Jan 2013 | Jan 2013 | Oct 2012 | April 2012