Tuesday: Key takeaways from Kriseman, Auld's question-answering session
Tuesday: Councilmembers skeptical; Sternberg issues non-threat threat
Now, on Day 3 of fallout from the announcement of a St Pete/Rays deal, we get more interesting reaction:
Trib Columnist Joe Henderson
Echoing his counterpart John Romano at the Times, the sports-turned-metro columnist suggested it was a good deal and St Pete Mayor Kriseman probably wasn't going to do any better than he did.
Following his column Tuesday, the Times' columnist wrote today that the payout may be puny and the deal "stinks" for St. Pete, but it was as good as the leveraged mayor was going to do. I don't know why more of the reaction hasn't been critical of the Rays for refusing to budge much, but that's neither here nor there.
Tampa Tribune Editorial Board
Tampa Bay Times Editorial Board
Another non-surprise, the good folks at the Times (seeking to put the Trib out of business in Tampa) also heralded the mayor's compromise. They mirrored the Trib's piece closely, so here's the link if you'd like to read it.
Next, all eyes are on tomorrow's city council meeting where eight elected officials will decide if the proposed deal truly does protect St Pete taxpayers. If not... we could be forced to re-re-re-re-negotiate!
A brief history of Times editorials on the Stadium Saga:
- 11/7/14 - St. Pete should amend contract b/c Rays lost their manager, GM
- 10/3/14 - Cheers, Warning on Hillsborough Negotiations
- 6/30/14 - Save Pinellas Tax Money for New Stadium
- 4/2/14 - What Steps Will Kriseman Take on Rays?
- 3/31/14 - Hurry Up! Only 14 More Years to Solve Stadium Stalemate!
- 1/1/14 - Kriseman Should Solve Stadium Stalemate Within "Months"
- 12/1/13 - Message to Kriseman: no time to waste
- 11/12/13 - New mayor will bring an open mind to the negotiations
- 11/6/13 - New mayor should renew discussions with Rays
- And a bevy of Bill-Foster bashing too: Oct. 2013 | Sept. 2013 | Sept. 2013 | Feb 2013 | Feb 2013 | Jan 2013 | Jan 2013 | Oct 2012 | April 2012