Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Maybe the Yankees Need a New Stadium?

In this morning's New York Times:
Through 41 home games this season, the Yankees have drawn nearly 106,000 fewer fans than at this point a year ago, a 6.1 percent drop that is almost twice as large as the overall decline in baseball. More than half a dozen other teams have had bigger attendance losses than the Yankees, but without exception they are teams that went from good to bad, at least for a while, or from bad to worse, or that play in cities without a notably intense fan base.

The Yankees do not fit in any of those categories, which makes their attendance falloff more intriguing. And while they also experienced a decrease in attendance the last two years, the one this season is more pronounced.
We feel the need to find excuses for everything, so the reason for the Yankees' decline must be its lack of stars in the lineup.  That is to say, New Yorkers are so spoiled by years of Jeter, ARod, and Teixeira, that having a competitive team led by Robinson Cano, Ichiro Suzuki, and C.C. Sabathia just isn't enough.

The Yankees drop, by the way, isn't too far off the MLB average attendance decline of 3.6% from a year ago.  And it's not nearly as bad as the Mets' 8.4% drop, the Rays' 11% decline, or the Marlins' 28% plummet.

9 comments:

  1. Well hey, why should the Rayz have a monopoly on this excuse?
    MLB "attendance" #'s are down because of a teetering economy and
    cheaper ways to watch at home and/or there are more pressing
    concerns out there to pay attention to.
    Of course sports "fans" assume that everybody wants to spend, spend, spend on pro sports as they do, but that's not the REAL WORLD.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sure I buy the economy issue anymore. It's doing pretty well compared to a few years ago when MLB was setting attendance records.

      But you're right on the home viewing experience.

      I also wonder if MLB has missed an opportunity to capitalize on fantasy sports like the NFL has. Maybe they need more stats in the stadium and access to instant stats in each seat?

      Delete
    2. ? I have 2 fantasy baseball teams in deep competitive $ leagues, and I don't have trouble going to Rays games an following my teams. Sometimes I'll watch another game on my phone while at the game...

      Delete
  2. More and more people are realizing what is important in life. Subsidizing millioniares and billionares because they tell you that it is your duty to do it, is starting to leave a bad tasts in people's mouths...

    ReplyDelete
  3. As someone who has been to 29 MLB stadium (will visit Miami when Loria is DOA & I can dance on his grave) & every Cactus & Grapefruit League park, I think the main reason for lots of fans is the cost. Going to a Cubs game in late August & bought my ticket from them. It was a pre-sale & because I used my Visa card, I was charged(!) a 15% premium (M/C was 20%) plus the City of Chicago fee, Cook County sales tax, processing, handling - a $20.00 ticket became $34.97 or basically I had a 75% service fee!! It disgusted me so much & is the last straw of these greedy clubs & ticket agencies that I'll pay 25$ per month to get MLB Extra Innings & save a lot of my money. This year I am going to Baltimore; Pittsburgh; Cleveland; Toronto; SD; SF; Oakland; LA; Anaheim; Denver; Chicago & Milwaukee. I've paid more than I want to think in fees, & I've hit my tipping point.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is cost. It's like how the Jax Jaguars started offering $20 tix and started avoiding blackouts, but the Bucs cheapest tix are $30 and had the most blackouts in the NFL last season with 6 games. I have never heard someone blame the Rays for expensive tix...

      Delete
    2. There are lots of people who complain about it. Read the comments at the bottom of any recent Rays stadium story in the papers.

      And if you want to see what happens when the cost of a Rays ticket is much lower for one game, just look up attendance for the team's 2010 home finale.

      Delete
    3. NO'ah! Your funny to debate the cost of going to a Rays game when they're the 2nd cheapest pro team in America to go see...

      Delete
    4. I never said the prices were out of line. I simply said there aren't enough people willing to pay the team's prices - is that even in debate?

      Delete